Brazil suspends national football competitions
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) has suspended all national football competitions in a bid to combat the coronavirus outbreak.
The affected tournaments include the Brazilian Cup, the top two women's divisions and two youth championships, the CBF said in a statement on Sunday.
The measure will stay in place until further notice, it said. However state federations will decide whether to halt local competitions that are currently underway.
Brazil's Serie A season is due to be held from May 3 to December 6.
The CBF's decision comes three days after the South American Football Confederation [CONMEBOL] suspended this week's scheduled matches in the Copa Libertadores - South America's top football competition.
Earlier on Sunday, Mexico's FA said it suspended the country's top two football division on the advice of the country's health ministry.
Most Popular
- Dutch skater Kok claims women's 500m speed skating gold in Olympic record at Milan-Cortina
- Guangdong beats Macao 2-0 in first leg of soccer cup
- Para teams set to leave mark on ice
- US skier Johnson wins women's downhill as Vonn crashes at Milan-Cortina Games
- Su Yiming clinches first medal at Milano-Cortina
- Over 300 athletes from 35 countries and regions kick off Asian championships in Tianjin





























